Courtesy of Justin Devillier, La Petit Grocery.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup Abita amber beer
- Vegetable oil for frying as needed
- 1/2 cup Louisiana blue crab meat, picked through for shells
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1 shallot, very small diced
1.) Mix all dry ingredients. Add beer slowly until batter is just thicker than pancake batter. Set aside, covered, at room temp for up to 2 hours.
2.) Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and form into 1/2 oz. balls.
3.) To complete beignets: Heat oil in a fryer or cast iron skillet to 375ºF. Drop crab filling balls in the batter and lift out with a tsp.. Gently drop them into the oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown and hot all the way through.