Courtesy of Hoffman Media.
- 4 extra-large sweet potatoes (about 5 lbs.)
- 4 cups seafood stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 lb. fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shells
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced chives
1.) Prepare a smoker to 200°.
2.) Smoke sweet potatoes 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Let cool, and peel. In a large Dutch oven, combine sweet potatoes, stock, and cream. With an immersion blender, blend on high speed until smooth. Heat over medium heat, and add 1/2 tsp. salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
3.) In a medium bowl, combine crab, lemon juice, red pepper, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, butter, and chives. Divide soup among bowls and top with crabmeat mixture.