Courtesy of Los Islenos Heritage & Cultural Society.
- 2 sticks salted butter or 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 lemons, unpeeled, cut into small, thin wedges
- 6 bay leaves
- 5 lbs. Louisiana shrimp with heads
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1.) Melt the butter or oil in a pan, preferably cast iron, set over medium high heat.
2.) Add the garlic, onion, lemon and bay leaves and sauté until ingredients soften, about 5 minutes.
3.) Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
4.) Stir and cover until shrimp begin to turn pink, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, covered.
5.) Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside, covered for 15 minutes. Serve with French bread to soak up the delicious juices.