Courtesy of Hoffman Media.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 1/2 cups Shrimp Stock, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 5 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp
- Garnish: dry sherry, chopped fresh parsley
- French bread
1.) In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 6 minutes. Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and Old Bay. Cook, stirring constantly, 7 minutes.
2.) In the container of a blender, combine onion mixture and half-and-half. Blend until smooth and return to Dutch oven.
3.) Add Shrimp Stock, brandy, tomato paste, and smoked paprika. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 35 to 40 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink and firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of sherry and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with French bread.